Sunday, August 14, 2022

The Code

I am a software developer.

I will not lie to anyone on my team.

I will value engineering far above process.

I will value completing work far above discourse or politics.

I will spend time with the end users and empathize with their problems.

I will take the time to really understand what I am coding.

I will try to keep things organized even in the face of intense time pressure.

I care if my code does not meet the expectations of a) the end users b) operations c) testers and d) myself.

I will take the extra time and effort necessary to ensure that the code works.

I will spend the time to investigate anything I don’t understand.

I will follow suit with any already existing code in our codebase and always try to leverage it first, before blindly reinventing it.

I will use all existing dependencies to their fullest extent before dumping in new ones.

I will not blindly copy code from answer sites and assume it works. Instead, I will read it, figure out what it does, and then learn.

I will communicate with everyone and make sure they are all on the same page. I will not hide any relevant details. I will stick to the facts and just the facts. I will write down what I know, even if the formatting is simple.

I will always try to explain things as simply and clearly as I can, and tailor those conversations to the audiences I am addressing.

I will not waste time or effort on make-work. Everything I do will be necessary to keep the project moving forward and to get the software out to the users.

I will stay out of any politics. I will avoid drama and childish behaviour.

I will not continue to work on things that I know are causing harm to others. I may not be able to stop it, but I will not participate.

It’s not about money. It’s not about power. It’s not about ambition. It’s not about ego. It is only about building things that are good enough to actually help people.

I am a professional software developer. I will act professionally at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Feedback!