Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Feedback

The best part about blogging is in how it forces you to reflect on what you know.

It is easy to have an opinion, but until you write it down, release it and see what happens it is only wishful thinking. In trying to communicate your ideas, you quickly realize how fragile they are, how often they sound better inside of your head then they do outside.

In that sense, feedback is the key. I have no real idea whether the stuff I am writing is reasonable, madness, rambling or idiotic. I do my best to weed out the weaker stuff, but what I am often talking about is in a very raw state. Unless it's something that I've been harping on for a while, the ideas only get shaped as they turn into sentences. Although I write a lot from personal experience, trying to generalize that or examine it in a global context can be difficult. Just because I can easily do something, doesn't mean that I understand it, or can teach it to others.

In periods like now, when there has been little feedback I always get worried that I've somehow disconnected from my readers. That I'm no longer writing relevant or interesting things. I realize that I'm not a particularly great writer (or editor), but I do believe that communication is the only way we can collectively grow. It's better, I think, to write poorly about something, then to not write at all. If we're not talking about it, then we're probably making way too many assumptions about it, and we certainly aren't growing our knowledge.

If you're out there, I'd love to hear what you think. What you like and/or dislike. Feedback would be awesome. Also, if you have any questions, I'd love to answer them. I could write up my thoughts as a full post, or for short answers I could post them in the comments, or perhaps combine several together as a post.

Thanks for reading this blog.

User Poll: